BHEA's annual Homeschool 101 program is this Saturday - March 4, 2006. Anyone interested in homeschooling or currently homeschooling is invited to attend. We have information for those in all stages of homeschooling!! It is FREE and you do not need to pre-register. You are also welcome to come to all or just part of the day's programs.
Homeschool 101 will be at First Christian Church in Maryville (corner of Lamar Alexander Parkway and Court St - across from the old courthouse). Program starts at 9:30 and runs until 2:30. The final schedule is as follows:
9:30 - 10:30 - Main Program - An overview of Homeschooling
The morning session covers a lot of the basics of homeschooling - registering with umbrella schools, an overview of BHEA and what we do, etc.
10:30 - 12:30 - Curriculum Share, Information, and Activity Tables
BHEA members will host tables showing a wide variety of different curriculum. They will be available to talk with you about how they use things and answer any questions that you might have. This is a great chance to look at different books without the pressure to buy and to find out what moms who are using them like and don't like about them. We will also have representatives to talk about a lot of homeschool activities like rugby, the Knoxville Zoo programs for homeschoolers, gymnastics, Scouts, and lots more. You can even stop by and visit with the publishers of The Old Schoolhouse Magazine and pick up a free issue!
12:30 - 2:30 Homeschool Workshops - choose whatever interests you!
1st concurrent session--12:30 - 1:30
• Homeschooling on a Budget by Linda McCausland - some great ideas for giving your child an excellent education on a tight budget. Linda's program was extremely popular last year so she is going to present it both hours this year - don't miss it!
• Homeschooling High School - this is a question and answer session for parents planning to homeschool their children through high school. It will be hosted by Mary Reed, Lori Wade, and Brennan LeQuire - who have all survived homeschooling their children through graduation and getting them into college!
• Setting Goals for your Homeschooling Experience with Amy Brown. Amy has some great ideas to help you have a successful homeschooling experience.
2nd concurrent session: 1:30 - 2:30
• Homeschooling on a Budget by Linda McCausland - description above (Linda is offering this popular program both hours so that everyone who wants to can attend)
• From Public School to Homeschool with Amy Brown. Amy has some great ideas for making this sometimes difficult transition.
• Homeschooling Nuts & Bolts: Learning Styles, Organization, & Scheduling with Sarah Small & Tammy Freeny - great practical advice on some of the more difficult aspects of homeschooling.