Tuesday, July 18, 2006

July 18, 2006: Blogging on Blogging

This whole blogging phenomenon fascinates me. It's like this big party of writers. I'm amused that there are over a dozen of us Local Yokels (including the teens) now who are friends outside of BlogWorld and also inside BlogWorld. We post actual comments on each other's blogs, and then when we meet in the outside world, we comment even more on each other's blogs. Sometimes we'll have lengthy discussions (and a lot of laughing) about the latest blog activity. And then there are all of the BlogLurkers, who do their daily or weekly surfing of all of our blogs and then say, "I read your blog about...." (That brings to mind one aspect of blogging that I do find troublesome: those people who know me in "real"life and are reading my blog...and don't tell me that they are reading my blog!)

I have to say that blogging has helped me tremendously to write every day (or nearly every day). When I was in graduate school, I wrote every chance I could get. When I wasn't writing, I was thinking about writing, turning phrases and choosing just the right word. The eloquence of language was always at the tip of my mind's tongue--how some words are solid and others liquid, some smooth and some crisp. The feeling of just the perfect combination of words--the immediate need to write that phrase, to capture it before it vanishes. I see words--feel words--like others see the way a picture should look on a wall, or how a tree needs pruned just in a certain place.

In the years that I've been homeschooling, I've put writing aside. I have an unfinished collection of poetry. I have other writing projects I sometimes yearn to begin but must stow away in the "someday" category. For now, I am enjoying this strange world of blogging. I am challenged by my friends, who write well and think deeply. They keep me on my toes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one. I have comment moderation on, so your comment will take a little bit to appear.