Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Sept. 26, 2006: Cummins Nursery

How could I post an entire entry about apples and forget to put a plug in for the family business? My second brother was quick on the draw to remind me to add the following:
"Never forget to mention Cummins Nursery when speaking of apples for the best trees for your home orchards."

Here's more from the website about Cummins Nursery, which is run primarily by my (fourth) brother Stephen and my Dad:

Cummins Nursery is first, a family business.
In a small city by a lake in a land far far away lies a fruit tree nursery lost in a morning mist. That's us--Cummins Nursery. For those of you who are not acquainted with Cummins Nursery: We are a family run nursery located in Ithaca and Geneva, NY. Our specialty is Custom Grown Trees, 2 year budded or 1 year grafts. We are also propagating the new disease resistant Geneva apple rootstocks which my dad, Dr. James N. Cummins helped develop. We are a small nursery (~ 25,000 liners/yr.) and we want to stay small. When you write or call you will be in contact with either my Dad or myself. I also personally grade every tree each winter. A healthy, well cared for and carefully graded tree delivered to you is my goal. Judging by our customer letters, I would say that we have been successful.
In the future- It simply doesn't make any sense for a nursery to guess what you want, guess wrong, and then try to convince you that Red Delicious is the right variety. We want to avoid that kind of speculation-it's not good for you and it's not good for us. Instead, we are encouraging Custom Work. You tell us the variety you want and we make it for you. If you have a special variety that you remember from childhood, we can probably locate it for you. Do you want 5000 Sun Fuji on G.30 or 3 Northern Spy from a tree in your back yard?- Give us a call @ 315.789.7083. Custom is the way to go!!!
Our trees are guaranteed to be healthy, and our orchard advice comes from experience. If you have any questions, please feel free to call or write.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one. I have comment moderation on, so your comment will take a little bit to appear.