Monday, January 3, 2011

Carnival of Homeschooling: An Anniversary Retrospective

This marks the 5th anniversary of the Carnival of Homeschooling, which Henry Cate of Why Homeschool began and continues to coordinate, so I thought I'd take a look at my own participation over the course of the past five years.

I've had the honor of hosting the Carnival four times:
October 2010
February 2010
July 2009
December 2008

I've submitted close to 50 posts to the Carnival. My very first submission, Mystery Folders, was back in November of 2005, which I think was right around the time I began blogging. (I blogged for a few years at Homeschool Blogger before moving over here to blogspot.)

Looking back on some of the posts, I am hit with the passage of time. If you read my blog regularly, you know that I now have a 4th grader, 8th grader, and one in his freshman year in college.
• Back in 2005, I had a preschooler, thus: What To Do With the Little Ones While You're Homeschooling.
• In this 2007 post, I write about my friend Donna dealing with the I'm a Better Mom Because…Misconception.
• A long time ago, it seems now, my youngest was a kindergartener, and I wrote Kindergarten, In Other Words, in which I translate edu-speak into life at home.

Two posts that I have submitted to the Carnival, Introducing SmallWorld's Wordsmithery and Lapbooking Resources, continue to be my second and third most viewed posts, according to my stats. (And since you are now curious as to the first most-viewed post, it has nothing to do with homeschooling. Fashion of the 1980s has three times more views than any other post!)

I should say that while participating in the Carnival is fun, the real benefit comes from reading each week's Carnival. I have learned—and continue to learn— so much from other homeschooling parents. The Carnival is published every Tuesday on a different blog. You can always view the schedule at Why Homeschool or at the Blog Carnival site. You can also submit posts at either of those links. You don't have to be Homeschooling Superwoman to submit. Sometimes the best posts are the short, from-the-heart ones.

Happy anniversary, Carnival of Homeschooling!


  1. I think home schooling is a wonderful thing...back when my boys were was not popular like today. We chose instead to send our boys to private school where we were very involved. I'm happy we made that decision to sacrifice for our sons...they are now in their 30's and all those early values we instilled shine through! Happy New Year and Happy anniversary on home schooling!

  2. Since I barely havetime to read current blogs, it was good to get to go back and read these "oldies" I forgot about the one you had written about "I'm a better mom because..." same story...different year ;)

  3. I just found Carnival of Homeschooling. I look forward to reading more of your posts. I'm you newest follower from ~ Ellen


I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one. I have comment moderation on, so your comment will take a little bit to appear.