Sunday, June 22, 2008

Recipe: Cornell Barbeque Sauce

This is the kind of barbecue that I grew up eating in upstate New York. It's known as Cornell Barbecue because it was developed at Cornell's Farm Extension program in the 1950s. My father was a professor at Cornell University and a scientist at Cornell's Agricultural Research Station in Geneva, NY. We had lots of summer barbecues at the "Station," and once each year we'd head over to Cornell U. for faculty day at the football game. Pretty much the main course was always barbecued chicken with Cornell sauce. When I got married, I had my mother hunt down the recipe and send it to me because I desperately missed it! This is so easy and so amazingly delicious. Please try it.


Cornell Chicken Barbecue Sauce

(This is for 3-4 breasts or you can use thighs, drumsticks, etc. Just double for a crowd.)

1 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup oil (I use canola)
1 egg
1 1/2 TB salt
1/2 TB poultry seasoning (I've also used Jerk seasoning)
1/2 tsp. pepper

That's it! Whisk it all together and marinate the chicken for at least 30 minutes, but overnight is even better. Grill chicken when you're ready!

I hope you try this incredibly inexpensive and easy sauce! I know it doesn't sound like much, but it is fabulous.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry, but raw egg in bbq sauce? Sounds just like salmonella outbreak waiting to happen! No thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Meghan: You are grilling the chicken with the sauce on it. The grilling would kill any potential bacteria in both the egg and the chicken. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one. I have comment moderation on, so your comment will take a little bit to appear.