Saturday, January 17, 2009

Introducing SmallWorld's WordSmithery



Welcome to SmallWorld's WordSmithery! I've mentioned before that creative writing is one of those areas in which parents struggle teaching. I love teaching creative writing. I often teach this class at our support group's weekly enrichment classes, and I love most of all getting students in my class who come with this caveat from mom: "He hates writing. He doesn't want to be in this class." Almost without fail (I can think of only a couple of kids who were immune to my charms), that I-hate-writing kid becomes hooked.
At the WordSmithery, I share some exercises for teaching creative writing at home for all ages. I said all ages. Yep, that is one of the key factors here. You, the parent, must also participate. Writers need to share, and a workshop format works best. Trust me.

The assignments will be given each week, and for the first few weeks, it's probably best to follow in order. Join in anytime, but be sure to look on the sidebar for consecutive lessons.

So here we go with Assignment #1:
Buy a writing journal for each person. You really should make this an exciting event. Let your kids pick out a special spiral-bound notebook, an actual hardback journal, or let them make their own. One easy way to personalize a journal is to buy a composition notebook like the one in the photo and decorate the front and back with scrapbooking paper, photos, magazine cut-outs, etc. You can use Modge Podge or just a gluestick. Don't forget to make yourself a journal, too.

That's it! Next week, we'll start finding words to put in the journal.

Click here for Assignment #2: Introduction to Creative Writing, Featuring Good Words
Click here for Assignment #3: Using Powerful Words to Create More Interesting Writing
Click here for Assignment #4: Similes
Click here for Assignment #5: Metaphors and Strong Verbs
Click here for Assignment #6: Alliteration and Spring Flower (or Fall Leaves) Poem
Click here for Assignment #7: Writing About the Weather (Form Poem)
Click here for Assignment #8: Form Poetry
Click here for Assignment #9: Poetry Collage
Click here for Assignment #10: Writing About Self
Click here for Assignment #11: Advertising, Part 1

Got something to share? We love to read what your students have written! Please share their writing here at the Share Your Writing space, or leave a comment and link back to a post on your blog.
Pin It



32 comments:

  1. I'm so excited that you're doing this! We're joining the virtual class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in! I just have to purchase about 20 of these for all my students, but I'm sure whatever you're doing for homeschool will work for my classroom...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's *fabulous* that you're doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those little, sewn notebooks like the one in the picture. They're a whole 92 cents at Wal-Mart. I keep a stack of them on the shelf so they'll be there when we need one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I this is wonderful.. My 8 year old would so enjoy your class. Now he can take it on-line.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, fun! My kids are in a monthly writing workshop - one loves it, one hates it - I'll stop in here too.

    We have a huge number of comp books from the back to school sales and my girl and I are always looking for an excuse to decorate one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We're in! I've been struggling with this area of our homeschool also. It sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a neat idea. I think we'll play along. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am really looking forward to this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How cool! I'm going to join & at least my 12 year old will be too - although he doesn't know it yet. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. yeah! i've been looking for ideas for writing. my boys avoid it like the plague. they, literally, start hyperventilating when i mention "paragraph". HELP!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OH, my daughter however, LOVES to write and even does it in cursive:).

    i'm SO glad you're doing this!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We're going to give this a spin! I think it will be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  14. We're in! My ds is definately a reluctant writer, but then what boy isn't at his age? It's great that you're doing this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds interesting! I have bookmarked your page and will check again.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very excited about this... My 12 year old some will be doing this with me. I think both of us will learn quite a bit. :)

    Val

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love, love, love this idea! I may file it away to begin in the fall (or not!), but we'll definitely be joining in at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! My 7 year old and I are going to love writing when she starts 3rd grade in August.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Me ... a writer... sometimes feel like I'm pushing the kids with their creative writing. At the moment they aren't into it - last year we had a great run with great times of writing.
    Maybe a new journal will kick start a new writing season.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am really digging this :D
    Will you be adding any new "assignments"? I want to add your button to my sidebar..

    Thanks,
    Loni

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just found this post via HOTM. We start our first day of the new school year tomorrow and this is really going to help. I always have the boys write in journals, but usually just come up with prompts myself. This will help to provide some structure. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you, thank you! Just what I was looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ok I'll try this. The Secular Homeschool posted a link to this on Facebook and I'm going to try it. I've always wanted to keep a journal, but I've never been successful!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, THANK YOU! What a wonderful post. I am itching to go start right away. Grin. I am a writing junkie and am trying to infect my sons, sort of. Both have leanings in that direction so we do NaNoWriMo when the time comes around but this is even better! Thank you! I am most definitely going to follow your blog. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hey! I was talking to a friend of yours her in Cincinnati and she told me about your blogs. I am loving both of them. I am going to be teaching a 5th grader and this is going to be perfect for him. Thank you for posting your lessons; they are a godsend!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Just found your blog last week. Today my daughter and I made our journals. We start our school year 9/1/11 and I am so excited to share these lessons with my children. (i also have a 13 yr. old son but he wasn't so into the crafting his own journal! I made him one and he loved it)
    Any chance you'll eventually add more lessons? Hint, hint! ;-)
    Thanks so much for sharing all of this with all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love this! I begin teaching this curriculum tomorrow at our co-op. Is there a way I can print these weekly lesson plans in a PDF format? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry. I used to have these available in a PDF but that site went down and I have never gotten them back up. You can get the first 2 lessons on Teachers Pay Teachers for free and buy the 3rd one, but that is all I have there, too! http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/WordSmithery-Creative-Writing-Lessons-1-and-2-101695

      Delete
  28. My kids and I love this and have worked through all 11 assignments. Are you planning on adding any more assignments to finish out the school year?

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one. I have comment moderation on, so your comment will take a little bit to appear.