Here's what it looked like before:
It's a really sturdy lab table that Randy rescued when his lab was renovated. The height is perfect for me, but obviously it was a wreck after being an art table for awhile and then Duncan's desk.
And here it is now!
I gave it 2 coats of off-white paint (the same color as the trim) and 3 coats of Minwax polycrylic protective finish, which apparently will not yellow on white paint. The "S" just seemed like the right thing to do. I had to use wrapping paper from Hobby Lobby because scrapbooking paper wasn't big enough, and I didn't want to line up two pieces. I'm too impatient for that. (Plus, now I have a whole roll of cool wrapping paper.)
I found this site on Pinterest for all kinds of letters. Mine didn't come out quite like I envisioned it, but I'm happy enough. I decoupaged on the "S" before I put on the polycrylic. Because I am lazy and like instant gratification, I didn't smooth it out as well as I should have so it's kind of wrinkled. I picked out the photo that didn't show the wrinkles, but I do feel the need to confess my crafty inadequacies (which are many).
The whole project cost about $5 for the wrapping paper (I forgot to bring my 40% off coupon) and $4 for the Minwax. Everything else I already had (Modge Podge, paint, the desk itself). And I have plenty of wrapping paper and Minwax left over for other projects.
Now that the desk is done, I can start sewing curtains for both the window and then cabinets. Here's what they looked like before:
Stay tuned to see what they'll look like next week!
Linked up with Craftastic Monday at Sew Can Do