Saturday, January 19, 2008

A Momentous Day

January 19, 2008

So one of my Christmas presents this year was a coupon from Dr. H,

"Good for one free shelf-hanging to be performed at the request of the bearer of this coupon."
Since the coupon was not valid during any football or basketball game, I thought I'd better cash it in before this afternoon. And so, bright and early this morning, like at 11:59....


Dr. H got out his screwdriver....



took a few measurements and put in the hangers...



and, voila! The shelf is up.



You know, the shelf I bought myself for my birthday back when I was 40? The one that has been propped up in a corner for one year and 11 months? The shelf that has appeared here and there and a couple of other places? It is really, truly, actually hanging on that wall. In no more than ten minutes, without even breaking a sweat and only dropping one screw, Dr. H. has at last made all my dreams come true. (Yeah, yeah, he did that 22 years ago, but whatever.)

So now the question is, what to put on the shelf? I mean, really, all of the sudden I am faced with two years' worth of waiting, and I realize: I have no plan!



Teapots?



Pitchers?



A combination of pitchers and teapots?



Photos?



The Kracken?



Duncan's cowboy boots?


Aah, here we go. I've found the perfect thing:


A shrine to our favorite Canadians, Neal and Kristina. Unique, sentimental, and cutting-edge.

Well, I predict the shelf will hold an ever-changing array of decor. Next I'm thinking seriously about trying a bouquet of flowers in the cowboy boots, or a single red rose in the Kracken's mouth or a Tennessee flag on the Campbell Shrine....

Post A Comment!.....


Comments

Saturday, January 19, 2008 - there you go ...

Posted by onfire (206.132.59.153)

making my eyes well up again.
and while we're at it, you should definitely keep the campbell shrine and add a tn flag to boot.
I don't see why not, after all, I have a tennessee titans keychain, and evan has those flip - flops.

you are soooooo missed here. all of you.

Permanent Link Edit Delete

Saturday, January 19, 2008 - Hi

Posted by HomeForHim (74.130.206.113)

Hurrah!!! I love it! This sounds funny but it makes me think of an article I read years ago about....gosh, what was it called???.....something like "room carma" or "furniture carma" ....something like that. Do you know what I mean? It's the way a room can make you feel based on the layout of furniture and nic-nacs. I didn't think much of it at first until I started changing things around every so often. It really makes a difference sometimes, I think. =] At any rate, the shelf is beautiful!! LOL

Kudos to Dr. H!!

=] Deborah

Permanent Link Edit Delete

Sunday, January 20, 2008 - Untitled Comment

Posted by Anonymous (71.215.186.64)

You crack me up. I mean, really, really crack me up. Isn't it pitiful how easy some of the tasks that never get accomplished are in actuality? Why is it that things like that get put off or avoided or never gotten around to?

I seriously loved the pictures of all the fun things you could put on that shelf. I feel that way about my fireplace mantel. This is the first time that I've had a mantel. A simple white shelf, basically, that has no other purpose than to hold something meaningful or decorative. It has been a blast to decorate it this past year. Have fun with your nice, new shelf!!

Heidi @ Mt. Hope

Permanent Link Edit Delete

Monday, January 21, 2008 - Untitled Comment

Posted by anotherblogonthefire (216.221.68.123)

I was totally going to vote for Duncan's boots until I scrolled down to the last one!
I feel very honoured (with a "u").
And as I said to Jesse on the phone (to his total bewilderment), "On behalf of the entire country of Canada, I would like to congratulate you on your new shelf!"
Nice Jorb, Randy!

Permanent Link Edit Delete

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - Untitled Comment

Posted by Lindsay (24.216.187.89)

I LOVE that "I have no plan" part. I totally relate!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one. I have comment moderation on, so your comment will take a little bit to appear.