Sunday, January 31, 2010

On the Menu

My belly is full from a big bowl (ok, maybe two bowls) of Randy's Sunday Night Fried Rice. It really is the best. Eggrolls--we buy those from the grocery store. We've never found quite the right way to make them.

And my deepest apologies for not posting Randy's Fettuccine Alfredo recipe that I raved about last week. How rude of me. My friend Sarah had to actually call me to get it because I am so delinquent in posting it. So before we go any further, here it is:

Randy's Fettuccine Alfredo

8 oz of fettucine
1/2 cup butter (don't even think about substituting)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 c. whipping cream (or half-and-half if you must)
3/4 cup Parmesan (freshly grated, not Kraft)

Cook fettuccine in salted boiling water until al denté. Drain, toss with a little oil to prevent sticking, and set aside. Melt butter over medium heat and sauté garlic 1 minute in a large sauté pan. Add cream and stir constantly over medium heat until mixture starts to bubble. Add Parmesan and stir until smooth and creamy. Turn off heat; add pasta to sauce and toss to coat. Serve immediately with fresh ground pepper and more Parmesan. Additional ingredients, such as sautéed shrimp or crabmeat, are an excellent addition.

Okay, now that we have that over with, I'll report on last week's menu items. This Chuck Wagon Soup , which I needed for a crockpot night, was absolutely fanTAStic. My only adjustment was that I left out the tomatoes. Everyone loved it, including the two friends of Laurel's who were dinner guests. (Unless, of course, they were lying to be polite. One never knows with these well-bred children.) Chicken with 40 Garlic Cloves was also absolutely amazing. I made this (using chicken breasts instead of parts and pieces) with mashed potatoes and a few other side dishes, and I am telling you—it was superb.

I did not get around to: Black Bean and Corn Chicken Taco Bake, Corn and Potato Chowder, or Pioneer Woman's Ribeyes. Instead, we had homemade macaroni and cheese one night, and Rachael Ray's Black Bean Stoup another night. This is my favorite black bean soup recipe, although I do leave out the tomatoes. (As you can tell, my people have a thing about chunky tomatoes.) Oh, and Randy and I also went on a DATE and ate at an actual RESTAURANT sans children. We have a fabulous Thai restaurant here, and I had gift cards. Happy day!

We usually only have dessert on Tuesday nights when my parents come over, and this week I made this hot fudge peanut-butter cake in the crockpot. It was good, but I have an oven recipe that is actually a bit better. Still, if you need a crockpot dessert, this one's great.

Coming up this week:
Lasagna
General Tso's Chicken
Spaghetti with Artichoke Hearts and Tomatoes
Calypso Beef Soup (Randy is skeptical of this one but I think it sounds good)
For the Cub Scout Blue and Gold banquet, I'll be picking up pizzas for the boys and making this Buffalo Chicken Wing dip for the parents.

What's happening in your kitchen this week? I can't wait to hear my friend Laurie's report on her Turnip and Chickpea Cobbler.… Need some ideas? Check out Menu Plan Monday and Tasty Tuesday and also my What's for Supper list. It's growing every week!

3 comments:

  1. I'm just curious, how much does 40 cloves of garlic cost. Do you use fresh garlic or the bottled kind?

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa, the Calypso Beef looks amazing! Thanks for sharing your finds. Have a sweet week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for visiting my blog and for the answer about the garlic. I haven't bought garlic in so long I couldn't remember how much it cost. I buy the minced garlic in the jars and that way I always have garlic on hand.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one. I have comment moderation on, so your comment will take a little bit to appear.