* Today was a Big Event day: Laurel got her top braces on. I am so very thankful that we are financially able to get braces for our kids. And I love that our kids recognize that braces aren't a torture device but rather a privilege. Even though she'd rather have been born with perfectly straight teeth, she sure doesn't complain about having braces. The only real tragedy in all this for her is that she isn't supposed to eat candy. When Jesse got braces, he lost 10 pounds in the first month because his eating habits changed so dramatically! (Well, also, he grew like 4 inches, but whatever.)
* Speaking of eating, I made the most dreadful soup yesterday. But you'll have to wait until Sunday to hear about that when I do my "On the Menu" post. Tonight I'm making Baked Potato Soup, which is incredibly wonderful if I don't burn it. I made it back in December for an American Heritage Girls leaders' soup dinner that we had. I burned it so badly somehow, but I didn't know it until I had a bowl myself and almost gagged. After about 5 other people had already had their bowls. That was a crowning moment in my cooking career.
* I, however, will not be eating baked potato soup with my family. (Or rather, with Randy and Laurel. Duncan doesn't eat soup, and Jesse has quite recently decided to eat vegan.) I'm going out for sushi with friends! I'm tremendously looking forward to a girls' night out.
* I've been working diligently on cleaning our bedroom, as I committed to do here. I have all kinds of ideas for things I'd like to buy for the bedroom. I need to make a quick few thousand dollars first, though…
* In other news, the Carnival of Homeschooling is up at As for My House. I try to submit to this on a semi-regular basis. That reminds me: I need to continue my series on The Road to Independence. And that also reminds me: I am hosting the Carnival of Homeschooling for Feb. 16, so think about submitting something from your blog! I know some of you have great posts filled with ideas. You can submit here anytime, but wait until next week if you want to be on my carnival.
* I'm ready for spring. Are you?