Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Conquering the Disaster Zone

I'm sorry to say that the messiest room in our house is our bedroom. I long to have one of those bedrooms that, when company comes over, I can leave the door open and invite guests to lay their coats upon my luxurious bed and gaze at my lovely furnishings.

Instead, I have this:



And it's even worse when we have company, because all the odds and ends of junk from the other rooms gets stuffed into our bedroom. And it often never leaves.

In fact, our bedroom has few redeeming qualities except for the color, the window treatments, and a shelf I like a lot. So this month I'm joining the 28-Day Organizing Challenge at Organizing Junkie. I really, really need motivation to get this room in order. It's hard to tell your kids to clean your room when your own room looks like a pigsty. In fact, the kids have pointed this out once or twice. My response is always something like, "I have to keep the whole rest of the house clean." But really, it's obscene. So, I have 27 days now to totally transform this room. Wish me luck! Perhaps by the end of the month I could actually leave our bedroom door open when we have dinner guests…

6 comments:

  1. Oh my. It's the same in my house. Exactly the same. Except for the guitar. And I say the same thing to my kids. Argh! Thanks for the link.

    Oh, and I don't even like the color of my room, or the window treatments. I do like my dresser and bookcase though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've conquered a few huge messes in my house since last summer. My very best advice is to set a timer. I would get so overwhelmed (particularly when dealing with my closet) but if I knew I only had to do it for 30 minutes, I could cope. Over time, 30 minutes really adds up. Good luck!
    Samantha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I especially like the shot of Mt. Shirts-To-Be_Ironed :-) Who know what lurks at the bottom?

    I guess it probably help if I put all my hiking stuff away, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally understand. And yes, I love the color of the walls.

    I've been working like crazy on the rest of my house since starting my blog, but I'm scared to death of the master bedroom. Anything that doesn't have a home in the rest of the house gets thrown in there. Thank goodness for doors.

    --Nony (A Slob Comes Clean)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad that I am not only who uses their bedroom as a catch all! I am always picking up in the kids room but hardly ever in our room. A lot of it has to do with hubby working shifts and always sleeping in the daytime.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ours in the exact same way, a catch all for all the junk in the house, especially when company comes over. Maybe one day I'll get it nice and presentable...

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one. I have comment moderation on, so your comment will take a little bit to appear.