Tuesday, July 10, 2012

10 Things I'm Looking Forward to in 2012-13



1. I get to thoroughly study World War 2 with my 6th grader! 

I am totally excited about this. My friend and I are going through an in-depth study with our boys, and I'm also looking forward to my Dad's input on this. How many kids get to learn about WW2 from someone who was actually there? What an amazing opportunity and gift.

2. My sophomore will be taking math through our co-op!

I am so happy that she'll be taking geometry with someone else. I'm just t-i-r-e-d of math!

3. I will be teaching American Lit at our co-op to 20 high schoolers!

I love American Lit and I love teaching to homeschoolers. It's like an English teacher's dream: I get to pick my own books, design my own curriculum, and teach the way I want to. And as a bonus, the kids are totally fun.

4. My husband will be teaching (ecology) at our co-op for the first time!

I am happy for our daughter and for the other kids who get him as their teacher. Imagine having a PhD who recently received a prestigious teaching award at a big university for your high school science teacher! Oh, and he's really fun and really nice. And smart.

5. Laurel, my sophomore, gets to take government during an election year!

This is going to be a fantastic class, taught by a homeschooling Dad who is also a government teacher at a local high school. I can't even imagine how much government is going to come alive for these kids this year!

6. We're tentatively planning a trip to Washington, D.C! 

Since Laurel is doing all things U.S. (literature, history, and government) and Duncan is studying WW2, a trip to Washington seems imperative this year. I'm hoping it will all work out!

7. It's my tenth and last year as coordinator of our American Heritage Girls troop!

This is going to be a bittersweet year for my co-coordinator, Caroline, and me. We started this troop 10 years ago, and it is time for us to pass the torch to our new coordinators. We'll be doing a lot of crying in the midst of rejoicing!

8. Randy won't be the Cubmaster this year!

After 8 years as Cubmaster, Randy has moved on with Duncan to Boy Scouts only. He has been a phenomenal Cubmaster but the job took lots of time and energy. And lots and lots of storage space.

9. I love my new church, and I'm excited to be there!

What a difference a year makes. I am so incredibly thankful to have been released from our old church (the world "escaped" also came to mind) and to have found an incredible faith community. I never imagined looking forward to church each Sunday!

10. I'm getting new hiking boots!


And new hiking boots mean more and more hiking in the Smokies, our beautiful big backyard.

 What are you looking forward to in this upcoming school year? Join in at Angie's Top Ten Tuesday!


This post is part of iHomeschool Network's Top 10 in 10 series and also linked up with Top Ten Tuesday.

6 comments:

  1. what an awesome list! I'm looking forward to a lot of those things too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun that your husband will be teaching an ecology class! And I hadn't thought about the fact that we'll be studying U.S. history in an election year; guess I'm gonna need to beef that part up a bit. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your list. That is a lot of be excited about. I love the WWII study. Don't you think it will be a great idea to post everything you do here? For ideas? For me? :)

    You are so lucky to live in the Smokies! So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so with you on the church thing. We've been at our current church for a little over a year now and words just can't express what a blessing it is! Our whole family looks forward to going to church every single week. Missing isn't even a consideration.

    My husband had to work this Sunday and the water was out when he got up. He woke me up and told me that the kids and I might not be going to church because the water was out. I was immediately thinking, "I took a shower yesterday. I probably would be okay. And, there's bottled water in the fridge for brushing our teeth."

    At any of our previous churches, that would have been the cue to turn the alarm off and go back to sleep.

    I'm glad you've found a church home that you love. It makes such a difference. Not a week goes by that one of us doesn't say, "I love our church."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so awesome, Kris! What a great feeling to look forward to Sundays with anticipation and expectation instead of obligation!

      Delete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one. I have comment moderation on, so your comment will take a little bit to appear.