Sunday, March 30, 2008

Home Education Week: Life Before Homeschooling

March 30, 2008

Share your personal history…before you were a home educator. What was life like? Think about things you miss and things you and your family have gained.

I'd love to write more and be all philosophical, but I've got to get dressed for church, feed the kids, and that sort of thing, so...

I had 11 years between college and homeschooling. What did I do? * I was censor taker in NY * I was a substitute teacher in NY and TN * I got married and moved back to TN * I was a waitress at Shoneys * I worked in a daycare * I was a telemarketer for the Shriners Circus! (Imagine me attempting an East TN accent: “Haa! Ahm callin’ from the Shriners here in upper east Tennessee. Do ya’ll wanna buy some circus tickets this year and help out the crippled children?”) * I taught a 4-5 preschool class * I did editorial work for The Business Journal of Upper East Tennessee and Southwest Virginia * We moved to Ohio for Randy’s graduate school, and I moved on to a real job. I was an assistant editor/desktop publisher for The Planning Forum, the international association for strategic planning and management. * I had a baby. * I was a stay-at-home mom. * We moved to Iowa for Randy's doctoral program, and I was a SAHM and I did freelance editorial work. * I went to graduate school. * I had another baby. * I finished graduate school. * I had lots of poems published. * H., now Dr. H, got an amazing, perfect job and we moved back to Tennessee. * I was a stay-at-home mom. * I started homeschooling. * (I had another baby) Post A Comment!.....

Comments

Sunday, March 30, 2008 - Untitled Comment

Posted by Margaret (68.42.29.163)

Enjoyed your snapshot autobiography!

Permanent Link Edit Delete

Sunday, March 30, 2008 - heather @ http://untraditionalhome.com

Posted by Anonymous (24.154.181.200)

Wow, I thought I did a lot of jobs in the few years before I home schooled. Isn't it amazing how God prepares us?

Permanent Link Edit Delete

Sunday, March 30, 2008 - Untitled Comment

Posted by Anonymous (75.88.100.233)

Great outline of your history...makes it much easier for studying for the exam. :) Thank you so much for sharing! Dana http://principleddiscovery.com

Permanent Link Edit Delete

Sunday, March 30, 2008 - Untitled Comment

Posted by pottershand (76.177.33.220)

I love how you made a list. It helps us see better what we have done over the years.

Permanent Link Edit Delete

Sunday, March 30, 2008 - Untitled Comment

Posted by AcceptanceWithJoy (66.247.209.183)

[I'd love to write more and be all philosophical...] Yes, blogging really does interfere with our home responsibilities! My ~ you were busy over the past 11 years.

Permanent Link Edit Delete

Sunday, March 30, 2008 - Untitled Comment

Posted by andijeane (75.46.45.26)

That was great - I loved your list, although it exhausted me! ~Andrea http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/andijeane/507524/

Permanent Link Edit Delete

Sunday, March 30, 2008 - list

Posted by Anonymous (65.40.196.92)

poet, huh? I'm going to judge young people's poems next month. Any tips? I never was much of a poet. Monica http://monicabrand.net/

Permanent Link Edit Delete

Sunday, March 30, 2008 - Untitled Comment

Posted by kympossible (63.64.215.35)

Enjoyed reading your post and seeing how God prepared you for homeschooling. Thanks for sharing a quick look at your journey! Blessings, Kym

Permanent Link Edit Delete

Monday, March 31, 2008 - Untitled Comment

Posted by Anonymous (75.85.97.60)

You were busy and have quite a diversified background; what an advantage to homeschooling! Shawna http://thehomeschoolingexperiment.blogspot.com/2008/03/life-before-homeschooling.html

Permanent Link Edit Delete

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 - Untitled Comment

Posted by Anonymous (12.215.135.18)

That was fun - - thanks for sharing!! Heidi www.jhcckkm.wordpress.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one. I have comment moderation on, so your comment will take a little bit to appear.