Friday, July 25, 2008
SmallWorld's Housewarming Party Day 2
It's Day 2 of my housewarming party!! (Actually, this might not literally be day 2, but I got distracted yesterday with things like making pillows, going to the pool, and rearranging furniture.) Thank you to everyone who dropped by, left comments, posted on their blogs, and Facebooked me to say they wish they had a blog so they could play!
Today's Party Favor has to do with front doors, back doors, and porches. For the first 10 years of our marriage, Dr. H and I lived in apartments or rented houses. In Iowa we had the bottom half of a big old house, so we got the big front porch. Every evening (except from October-April when it was —88 degrees) we sat on the porch and waved to neighbors as they walked by, chatted with friends, or just listened to the corn growing. It was idyllic. We always had two requirements for our home, when we bought one: a big front porch and sidewalks.
We did finally finish graduate school, get a job, and buy a house, which we love. But of course, we don't have a big front porch or sidewalks. We have lovely flowerbeds with benches and a small, pretty porch that Jesse painted for us last summer. And sidewalks are scarce in this city unless you live in one of the historic districts or a brand new subdivision.
So my Party Favor for today is simple:
Day 2 Party Favor: Your Entrance
All you have to do today is answer these questions in the comments:
• Do you have a front porch?
• Do you have a welcome mat?
• When people come to your home, do they enter by the front door or the back door, or does it depend on who they are?
That's it! And remember, you can always do the
Week-long Gifts (leave me a comment to say you've done any or all of these, each time you do)
1. Mention SmallWorld's Housewarming Party on your blog, and you'll get 5 points each time you do!
2. Put my party sign on your blog somewhere, and you'll get 10 points.
3. Subscribe to SmallWorld and get 2o points! (How to subscribe: look on my sidebar and click on the button that says "posts" under the header "subscribe.")
4. Cut and paste the day's Party Favors on your blog for 10 points each day.
5. And by the way, you can jump in the party on any day, and you can even go back and do the previous days if you missed them the first time around! Our door is always open to new friends! See Day 1 here.