Welcome to the third day of my Housewarming Party! I sure do get distracted, don't I? I don't know how the days pass so quickly. I get so involved with finding old friends on Facebook that I forget about my
But back to the party. I know that this is supposed to be a festive event, but I need to wax nostalgia for Day Three's Party Favors. For the past decade, the kids and I have been going to my hometown of Geneva, New York during the first two weeks of August. Dr. H. usually goes to a big botanical conference during this time, while we spend 2 weeks with my parents at their home on Seneca Lake. This is the house we built and moved into when I was in sixth grade. It's not my childhood home; I think of it as my coming-of-age home. And my coming-home home.
Everything about it is amazing. It's not fancy, but it's roomy and bright. Functional and comfortable. Three stories and a beach on one of the Finger Lakes. As my father says, "a swimming pool 700 feet deep, 2 miles wide and 35 miles long." And don't get me started on all the memories the house holds for me. I can't think about that right now.
'Cause here's the thing: this will likely be our last visit to my home on Glass Factory Bay Road. My parent have bought a house down here in Tennessee just a half mile down the road from us. Of course we are thrilled about that; we've wanted them to do that for years. But, well, that means they have to sell their house in Geneva.
And that means my kids won't grow up skipping rocks in Seneca Lake and going sailing early in the morning while the wind's still good. This is the last summer they'll spend all day in the lake, jumping from big rock to big rock. Next year my daughter won't be sleeping in the bedroom where I tallied up the months my boyfriend(s) and I dated; she won't put her clothes in my dresser or walk barefoot across my shag carpet.
For today's Housewarming Party Day #3 Party Favor, just answer some or all of these questions in the comments for 10 points (and yes, I'm keeping track!):
* Do you have a special childhood home or did you have several homes?
* Do you imagine that your children will someday "come home" to your current house, or do you see yourself moving someday?
Want to tell me anything else about a home to which you were especially attached? I'd love to hear it!
That's it! And remember, you can always do the
Week-long Gifts (leave me a comment to say you've done any or all of these, each time you do)
1. Mention SmallWorld's Housewarming Party on your blog, and you'll get 5 points each time you do!
2. Put my party sign on your blog somewhere, and you'll get 10 points.
3. Subscribe to SmallWorld and get 2o points! (How to subscribe: look on my sidebar and click on the button that says "posts" under the header "subscribe.")
4. Cut and paste the day's Party Favors on your blog for 10 points each day.
5. And by the way, you can jump in the party on any day, and you can even go back and do the previous days if you missed them the first time around! Our door is always open to new friends! See Day 1 here.
See Day 2 here.