Wednesday, May 9, 2007

A Night to Remember

May 9, 2007

A couple of weeks ago we decided that Sharon needed to take us all up to Knoxville to Three Rivers Market Co-op, which she and Sarah and Tia always rave about. We all left our kids with their dads and drove up in Sharon's van together (except Tia, who doesn't live down our way anymore). Obviously, six moms in a mini-van are threats to society, because no sooner had we driven two miles when we see flashing blue lights in the rearview mirror.


"But, Sir!" says sweet-as-sugar Sharon, "I was only going 53 in a 50-mile-an-hour zone!" And Mr. State Trooper, who looked exactly like the guy above, says, "I don't care if you were going 51. Don't ever pass a state trooper." Humbled to have received only a warning ticket after Mr. State Trooper ran Sharon's license and discovered that she was not on the FBI's Most Wanted List, we headed up the road to Three Rivers. There we met Tia, who was prepared to bail us out of jail with tofu and xanthum gum if needed. Three Rivers is indeed an awesome natural foods market, and we were all delighted with our purchases of granola, sea salt, and other crunchy delights. By that time we were all starving, so we headed off to Tomato Head on Knoxville's Market Square.


As Blogless Leigh would say with gusto, "Yum-O!" It was disturbing, while waiting for our food to arrive, when this fellow scrambled under our table, or, more precisely, under my chair:


I simply couldn't help squealing and getting my feet off the floor. I really, really couldn't help it. I believe Caroline was squealing, too, although I can't swear to it. All the wait-staff came running and wondering what to do, but fortunately quick-witted Sharon dove under the table with a napkin and smushed that sucker. I believe she even deposited it outside, but I was still hyperventilating. Just then our food came, so all was forgotten. Mostly. Everything was truly luscious, even the corn salsa that tasted like asphalt. (I kinda like asphalt, but everyone else thought it was gross.)


We topped off our meal with slices of peanut butter pie, which the folks at Tomaoto Head graciously provided to us free of charge, since we were such good sports about our friend the cockroach. (The one that was crawling back and forth between my chair and Caroline's chair. Scurrying fast like cockroaches do.)

What a fun, fun night. Seven moms, 21 children between us, 17 of which are boys. We for sure needed a night out. And what would a night out be, for moms of mostly boys, without police cars, cockroaches, and peanut butter? I'm just sorry that Kristina wasn't here to enjoy this night....

Post A Comment!.....


Comments

Wednesday, May 9, 2007 - Wait, wait!

Posted by QueenoftheHill (IP Not Logged)

You forgot the part where the waitress dumps an entire pizza pie into Sixredheads' lap...

And that Sharonkay was calmly talking on her cell phone with her hubby when she oh-so coolly reached under the table and snatched up that sucker. I don't think she even paused to take a breath.

What the full-of-himself Trooper actually said was "I don't like people passing me." As my mom often says of people like that: It was his one chance all day to play God.

It was a wonderful, adventurous, boy-free night. :-)

Edited by QueenoftheHill on Wednesday, May 9, 2007 at 8:30 PM

Permanent Link Edit Delete

Thursday, May 10, 2007 - Fabulous evening!!

Posted by eclecticityTia (IP Not Logged)

Great pizza, wine, friends, beautiful weather, adventure.....and free pie! It just about can't get better than that!

Permanent Link Edit Delete

Thursday, May 10, 2007 - yah ... wish I could have been there

Posted by onfire (IP Not Logged)

did I tell you that I emailed my first "book club" person and she said, basically, that evenings wouldn't work for her because her daughter plays hockey in Michigan and her husband works nights and she tries not to use up her free babysitting (she has way older kids ... like, marrying age) unless it is really important.
nice.
maybe that explains why there are so many mumblies around these here parts. They were former homeschoolers trying to get people to do things with them ...
K

Permanent Link Edit Delete

Thursday, May 10, 2007 - fyi

Posted by onfire (IP Not Logged)

someone needs to be here to tell me that, truthfully, my house smells like a dog ...

Permanent Link Edit Delete

Thursday, May 10, 2007 - Untitled Comment

Posted by skdenfeld (IP Not Logged)

That's a lot of boys! I loved your trooper shot-The roach, mmm...not so much. Glad you had such a good time.

Permanent Link Edit Delete

Thursday, May 10, 2007 - You know...

Posted by anotherblogonthefire (IP Not Logged)

If you spread a bit of that peanut butter pie on the cracker with that cockroach... Mmmmm!!

Permanent Link Edit Delete

Thursday, May 10, 2007 - I'm glad you had a good time!

Posted by sharonkay (IP Not Logged)

Oh what a memorable night, for soooo many reasons. You guys are so much fun to hang out with! Thank goodness we didn't have to spend the night is the BIG HOUSE together;)

Permanent Link Edit Delete

Friday, May 11, 2007 - I'm so jealous!

Posted by ThreeLittleLadies (IP Not Logged)

What an awesome night out! I'm so glad no tickets were given...the creep. I bet he had another agenda...
I'd give anything to have a fun night of moms like that. I'm so glad you had a mostly fun time. I'm also relieved that no one found any creepy crawlies in their food!

Carol

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one. I have comment moderation on, so your comment will take a little bit to appear.