Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Returning

I like the feeling each August of returning to our regular life, just like I love the feeling in May of leaving our regular life behind for a few months. This year in particular, we are all happy to be resuming our studies.

It's been a weird summer. Dr. H. was gone for over 35 days this summer: five days botanizing in Florida and Georgia, 16 days at Philmont Boy Scout Ranch in New Mexico, 13 days traveling to and from Utah, with many side trips for botanizing, and then another few days apart from us whle we were in NY and he at home in Tennessee. I know that's no big deal for families who are used to a traveling Dad schedule, but it was a very disconcerting and lonely summer for us without Dr. H. We missed him a lot.

I'm glad all that traveling is behind us.

Today began our 10th year of homeschooling. Ten years since we said good-bye to public schools, pulling out Jesse after his 1st-grade year. We have never, ever looked back. And now that little sweet boy who was bored to tears in public school is a senior, having squeezed his sophomore and junior years into one last year. That doesn't astound me so much, somehow, as my little girl being a 7th grader. I have no idea how that happened. And I thought Duncan was in 3rd grade last year when he was actually in 2nd, so that's all good.

This is a blessed journey, and I'm thankful to be at home to enjoy it.

3 comments:

  1. Where in NM? I'm originally from NM.

    I always love posts from seasoned hs'ers. When I get REALLY frazzled, I look at awesome mom-teachers like you & think "It's all good."

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... and I thought Duncan was in 3rd grade last year when he was actually in 2nd ...
    you are so homeschool it cracks me up! that's ok because I wrote somewhere that I am in my 11th year of homeschooling.
    whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!!!!After end of July we have to came back to our regular life with sweet memories...i think "It's all good."
    --
    Reenee
    Get the best FREE offers on the Best Home security Systems

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one. I have comment moderation on, so your comment will take a little bit to appear.