Friday, May 27, 2011

7 Quick Takes

1. So yesterday morning I took the dog out and just as we stepped out of the carport, I looked at her and she had a dead baby possum in her mouth. I said "DROP IT!" She did, right by Jesse's friend's car door. That made me laugh, thinking about Everett waking up, going out to his car, and seeing a dead possum there. Then it occurred to me that, perhaps, the possum was "playing possum." I looked out several times during the day to make sure it was still there.

2. The possum stayed there all day, even through the rain storms. By the time I got home in the evening from AHG camp planning, the possum was very soggy. And still there. At least five different sets of people had pulled in and out of the driveway and grimaced at the soggy possum.

3. I am pleased to report that Dr. H. scraped the possum off the driveway last night, and it is headed for the landfill already today.

4. Here's another strange thing that happened yesterday morning. Dr. H. pointed to something on the dining room table and said, "You have got to be kidding me!" It was a pair of Jockey men's underwear with a scribbled note attached, "Please wash my underwear."
"Haha!" I laughed. "The boys [meaning Jesse and his friends] must have found this pair of underwear on a walk and thought it would be funny to do this."
A couple of hours later, when Jesse awoke, I said, "Haha! Where did you find these underwear?"
He looked at me and said, "Those are B____'s. He wanted you to wash them." I looked at him in disbelief. I totally thought he was joking. His friend actually put dirty underwear on my dining room table with a scribbled note to WASH THEM? I kept going between incredulity and laughter.

5. Would you wash your teenage son's friend's underwear if he left them on the dining room table? (Note: he wanted them washed because they are his workout underwear and he needed them for the next day. Seriously.)

6. I do have non-gross things in my life. Like this morning's delicious smoothie (banana, blackberry, yogurt) and two cups of coffee. And that my son got two summer jobs (cashier at K-Mart, busboy at a local restaurant) in one day!

7. Today is our last day of school. We always go out with a fizzle. I was hoping for ice cream at Marble Slab, but the day is rainy and non-ice-creamish. Anyway, it's been a great year. I can hardly believe my daughter will be a high schooler in the fall. I'm up at Simple Homeschool today with our plan for high school. But this afternoon, summer break begins!

6 comments:

  1. I love reading your blog. We are going to be visiting family outside of Knoxville in three weeks. Are there any hidden gems that you would recommend we see?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always make me smile. Thanks for the laugh this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. with three boys i have pretty much dealt with everything ... but i think i'd draw the line at washing your son's friend's underwear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used this as a teachable moment today...told the kids this story as a "what not to do when you go over to your friends' house" My daughter said, "I would have written a note that said, 'Wash your own stinky underwear'" I second that suggestion. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your post starts with roadkill and ends with thoughts of ice cream...ugh...I believe I am getting queasy now... ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. HaHaHaHa Dead possums and dirty underwear?! Too funny. I always enjoy reading your blog! :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one. I have comment moderation on, so your comment will take a little bit to appear.