Wednesday, May 4, 2011

I Did It!


I never thought I would say this, but I ran my first 5K today! I have truly despised running all of my life. It's not that I've led a non-athletic life—I was a swimmer in high school and college, and I love hiking, biking, and even playing tennis. But running has always been at the bottom of my list.

Last June one of the moms (the one with the stroller) in our homeschooling group started a Couch to 5K club. Several of my friends were doing it, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I was okay running 90 seconds, but I seriously thought I would die the first time a 5-minute run came up on the schedule. Much to my amazement, by the end of the summer I was running 30 minutes!

Of course winter came, and I totally stopped running. I've only been out about five times in since November. But Sandra, our wonderful leader, decided that we should have a Moms 5K at our support group's field day today, so I signed up. And I did it!

Tomorrow Couch to 5K starts back up again for the summer, and this year I'll be working toward speech and endurance.

11 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I can't imagine running that far. Walking, okay. But running.. um it makes me gasp thinking about it. :)
    Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WooHoo! Congratulations! You should be very proud of yourself! :)

    WW: Dragon Princess

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! That is totally awesome! I would love to do something like that someday- sooner than later!
    Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, and what a great idea! I am jealous. It is so much easier doing this with a group of friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! This is one of my dreams. . . . maybe I should make it a goal, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seriously, you all: try Couch to 5K, with friends if possible!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done! I'm training for my first run ever, too. Wish me luck! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Miss G would be so proud Sarah!!! I still practically break out into hives every time I think about running a race!! Good for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good girl. Now you're ready for your half marathon. Let's do it together.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one. I have comment moderation on, so your comment will take a little bit to appear.