Sunday, January 15, 2012

The Great Room Redo: Dresser Spruce-up

My Great Room Redo —converting Duncan's old bedroom to our office— is coming along nicely. A few weeks ago I fixed up an old lab desk to what will be my sewing table. Yesterday I finished the dresser that used to look like this:

And now looks like this:

I sanded it, put on one coat of primer, two coats of soft-white door/trim paint, and one coat of polycrylic just on the top. I also bought new knobs at Target. All supplies were left over from some other project, so the total cost of the dresser was about $16—the price of 10 knobs. I could have used the wooden knobs and repainted them, I know, but I really wanted new knobs.

We decided that we really needed another dresser in our bedroom (and it's also WAY too heavy to move very far), so we removed several cubicle units that we were using as a catch-all for miscellaneous items and moved the dresser in. Now the drawers are filled partially with photo albums, baby books, and other memorabilia, as well as our running clothes. I still have some space left that will no doubt be filled soon.

Next up, I need to shampoo the carpet in the room and then figure out what to do with this chair:

When we packed up my Uncle Max's house after his death, we brought nearly all the furniture back to Tennessee to sort through here. This chair is incredibly comfortable, so I rescued it. Now I have to learn how to reupholster. I've been reading all kinds of websites and have lots of ideas. The trickiest part is going to be working around the wooden posts, which are attached to the back and arms and can't be removed. Harumph.



  1. I like the new look of your dresser!

  2. The dresser looks amazing and I love the new knobs! Perfect!

  3. Great job on the looks beautiful!


I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one. I have comment moderation on, so your comment will take a little bit to appear.