Friday, April 25, 2008

Heart of the Matter Meme: Happy Habits of a Homeschooler

April 25, 2008



I must admit this meme perplexes me. How can a habit be happy? Sometimes my grammatical twitches can be smothering.

And so, habits. Good, happy habits.

* Our electronic toys rule: Two hour maximum per child on TV, computer, Playstation. None of that stuff between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. I actually make a little chart each day for my younger two so they can see how much time they've used and how much they have left. This takes out all the guesswork and put an end to that afternoon and lunchtime "Can I watch TV?" When their time is done, it's done.

* Room cleaning:
The kids must all make their beds and pick up 10 things in their rooms each morning. On Saturdays, their rooms must be completely clean in order to receive their allowance.

* Reading aloud:
This is such a pivotal part of our life that I forget sometimes that not everyone reads with their children for 2 or more hours each day. I can't imagine life without this. That is what I love so much about Sonlight--it's all about the reading.

* Independent work schedules:
For my 5th and 9th graders, this has been a lifesaver in the past 2 years. I write down my daughter's independent work day-by-day for the week, and for my 9th grade son, I write down a list of everything that needs done for the whole week. My 9th grader does everything on his own but of course he needs to know what to do. My 5th grader works partly with me and partly on her own, so when it's time for me to work with my 1st grader, she has her list to go to.

* Craft supplies:
I keep a hefty store of craft supplies of all sorts in easy access. I don't hinder their creativity by putting them up on shelves and insisting they come to me when they want to use supplies. We also have an "invention tub" that holds everything from styrofoam packing to pie tins. Paper, glue, markers, crayons--this stuff is always in a state of disarray, but they use it, by themselves, at moments like this when I am, well, blogging instead of starting school like I should be. Which brings me to...

* Flexibility: A very happy habit.

Post A Comment!.....


Comments

Friday, April 25, 2008 - Great ideas!

Posted by Anonymous (69.137.69.151)

Flexibility is definitely a happy habit!

Kysha
http://humblemama.blogspot.com

Permanent Link Edit Delete

Friday, April 25, 2008 - Untitled Comment

Posted by Eileen (CoffeeBean) (67.53.76.58)

I love your electronic toys rule and chart. During the long, cold, snowy winter we just had, my 4 year old watched waaaay too much TV. I really try to limit it but it gets away from me. I think I'll do the chart. Thanks for the idea!

Eileen

Permanent Link Edit Delete

Friday, April 25, 2008 - Untitled Comment

Posted by Ellen (76.178.246.114)

My daughters would just love it if I put together an "invention tub". I'm glad to know that flexibility is a good habit. That is one that I have thankfully developed over the years.
http://ellenfunlearning.blogspot.com/

Permanent Link Edit Delete

Friday, April 25, 2008 - wonderful habits

Posted by Jennifer in OR (69.88.229.219)

I loved your list, especially the reading aloud and the invention tub!! I have one child - my oldest son - who is an inventor extraordinaire. I need to keep all his stuff in one place, so I'll be implementing this idea for sure.

Permanent Link Edit Delete

Friday, April 25, 2008 - Untitled Comment

Posted by Anonymous (74.182.210.7)

As I'm getting more and more into this homeschooling thing, I'm seeing that flexibility will need to become a habit!
I love the reading aloud and the limit on electronics!
Celly B
www.cellybbusyathome.blogspot.com

Permanent Link Edit Delete

Friday, April 25, 2008 - Untitled Comment

Posted by Suzanne (68.60.207.96)

Flexibility is definitely a happy habit!

I need to develop some of the disciplinary habits you mention here... in my own life. :)

(Not to sound "juvenile," but thanks for leaving me a comment.)

Permanent Link Edit Delete

Saturday, April 26, 2008 - Untitled Comment

Posted by NannyJayne (72.218.240.104)

Yes - flexibility is key! And I really like your room cleaning ways - nice approach, I'll have to try it!!

Permanent Link Edit Delete

Saturday, April 26, 2008 - Untitled Comment

Posted by Margaret (68.42.29.163)

Really like your habits, especially the room cleaning! I don't do so well on that one...

Reading aloud - yes, I forget too that not everyone reads aloud like we do!

Permanent Link Edit Delete

Saturday, April 26, 2008 - Untitled Comment

Posted by lcourtneymom (208.104.165.129)

I love your happy habits list! I'm working on the flexibilty part. Amazingly, the more years I homeschool (and the more kids I've had) I'm getting better at it. :-)

Permanent Link Edit Delete

Sunday, April 27, 2008 - follow up questions

Posted by Anonymous (67.240.142.100)

This is very helpful. Since my three are 6, 4 and almost 2, I am not quite at the delegate independent work stage. However, I do have a couple of questions.
How did you decide allowance amounts? Are they the same amount for all three kids, or do they vary depending on age?
Also, what is the "standard" for the crafty area? Do your kids know to put the stuff away when they're done? I would like to permit more access, but maybe that's just unrealistic with a toddler in the house. (marker on walls, tubs, toilets, rugs, etc.!)

:) Thanks!

Carole
www.thoughts-of-home.blogspot.com

Permanent Link Edit Delete

Sunday, April 27, 2008 - Untitled Comment

Posted by SmallWorld (24.151.178.103)

Carole: My answer to your allowance question was so long that I made a separate post out of it:
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/SmallWorld/523122/

About crafts: I have a couple of different places for crafts. I have a cabinet in the kitchen where we keep a big box of crayons, markers, glue, scissors, and paper. The can get this stuff out anytime--and put it back. We also have an enclosed sunporch which is the official craft room. The reality is, I desperately want this to be cleared of all craft materials so I can make it a sweet little place of quiet retreat. But that's for a different season of my life. For now, they have Rubbermaid-type totes for painting supplies, playdough, markers, glue, etc. and a 6-drawer plastic unit for paper, stamps, old magazines and calendars, and other supplies. A big tub holds the mentioned invention materials. We have two tables set up for them to work on. I must admit here that I am not particularly vigilant about seeing that they put their supplies away. Because the room is closed off, it is often "out of sight, out of mind." As they get older, however, I am becoming better about reminding them that "if you get it out, you put it away."

With the age of your children, I would absolutely designate a place for crafts, which is usually the kitchen table. We didn't allow the kids to have craft supplies in their rooms until they showed an acceptable degree of self-control and common sense. Flexibility in using craft supplies will come as your kids get older.

Permanent Link Edit

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one. I have comment moderation on, so your comment will take a little bit to appear.