Sunday, October 3, 2010

On the Menu, with Lemon Bar recipe

I just had a big bowl of leftover Chicken and Rice Soup for lunch, and I'm telling you: if you haven't tried this soup yet, please do not wait any longer! It is sooooo amazingly good and easy, and you absolutely must have it on a chilly, damp autumn day. By the way, I left out the green peppers, celery, and pimentos because we didn't have any of those, and Dr. H. liked it much better.

This week is one of those weird hit-or-miss supper weeks. We have a pack meeting one night, which means Dr. H. won't eat; we're going camping another night, which means camping food; and this weekend is our county's huge fall festival, which means we'll be parking cars at our church. But I'm making out a menu anyway, anticipating that we'll at least have a few normal meals at home.

I'm going to be bold and try this Chicken with Olives on Pioneer Woman Cooks. This will be a bit of a risk in our house because: 1) Dr. H. doesn't like olives; 2) Dr. H. doesn't like chicken on the bone; and 3) Dr. H. doesn't like chunks of cooked tomato. But he did say, "I'll try it," so we'll see how this goes. The good news is that this is served on a bed of linguine, so all picky eaters can just eat linguine. I might be eating a lot of chicken and olives this week.

I found another one at Pioneer Woman that I have to try this week: Pasta with Tomato-Blue Cheese Sauce. If you need more heavy cream and butter in your life, Pioneer Woman is always the best place to go. Serving up a side of PW's Buttery Bread will greatly enrich any pasta experience.

The rest of the week will be old favorites. Our vegetarian college son will be coming home this weekend, and he's requested Lasagna and Baked Potato Soup (sans bacon). I'm also going to be crazy and make a pumpkin pie for him, even though it's not Thanksgiving. I don't know what's come over me.

I made the most delicious lemon bars yesterday. I can hardly stop eating them.

Lemon Bars

Cream together 1 cup flour, 1/2 cup butter, and 1/4 cup powdered sugar. Spread in a greased 8 X 8 inch pan and bake for 20 minutes at 350.

While that's baking, mix together 2 eggs, 1 cup sugar, 3 TB lemon juice, 1/8 tsp. salt, and 2 TB flour. Pour over the crust when it's done baking. Return to oven and bake about 25 minutes at 350. Cool, then sprinkle with powdered sugar and cut into bars.


These are ridiculously delicious and so easy to make, especially if you don't have anything else dessert-ish in your house.

And that's what we'll be eating at SmallWorld this week.

3 comments:

  1. I am so happy you are posting your menu's again...this will make my planning this week so much easier!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm adding some of these recipes to my menu for the week = ). I have given you a Lovely Blog award (http://goldengrasses.blogspot.com/2010/09/blog-fun.html)! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, you are making me feel woefully inadequate. How can you do all you do and still bake a pumpkin pie?

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one. I have comment moderation on, so your comment will take a little bit to appear.