Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Oldest and Youngest


I have about a hundred photos from the past week, when my fourth older brother, Stephen, and his wife and new baby came to visit. But I love this one of my parents (Oma and Opa) and their oldest and youngest grandchildren especially. We are all amazed by Koll Henry, and here is one of the reasons why: he was born over 31 years after the first grandchild, Esther, who is holding him in this picture. As Esther says, "I could practically be Koll's grandma!" (Frightening, but true.)

I can't help but get a little weepy looking at this photo. My parents were in their mid-50s when the grandkids started coming. This little guy will never roast hot dogs on the beach with Oma and Opa, or go sailing with them out on Seneca Lake or hike along the railroad tracks with them and pick up treasures. But hopefully he'll still get Opa's stories and Oma's sweet songs, and the certainty that he is well loved.

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful sentiment Sarah...as usual... :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That photo is a treasure, just like your family!
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwwwww! So bittersweet, but I can totally relate. LOVE this picture!


    Angry Bird Launching 101

    ReplyDelete
  4. Precious photo!

    I played too. Mine are here and here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful memeories. . .

    http://thoughtsofgrace.wordpress.com/2012/05/16/wordless-wednesday-carrot-gone-to-seed/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh for Pete's sake I feel old!! I remember swimming at your house in high school when Esther was just a baby!!!! Such a fantastic photo Sarah!!!! I just want to pinch Koll Henry's cheeks he's so darn cute!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one. I have comment moderation on, so your comment will take a little bit to appear.