Thursday, December 4, 2008

Christmas Cookies: Jam Diagonals

These cookies are my family's absolute favorite, and I only make them at Christmas. Maybe that's why they are so special!

Jam Diagonals

1 stick butter, softened (don't even think about using margarine)
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/8 tsp. salt
1 1/4 c. flour
1/4 c. raspberry jam
3/4 c. confectioners sugar
3-4 tsp. lemon juice

Mix butter, granulated sugar, vanilla, and salt until fluffy. Gradually stir in flour until blended. Divide dough into thirds. On lightly floured surface, with hands, roll each into a 9-inch rope. Place 3-inches apart onto lightly greased cookie sheet, or, better yet, a baking stone. With finger, make 1/2-inch depression down center of each rope. (Ropes will flatten to about 1-inch-wide strips.) Fill depressions with jam. Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes, or until golden but certainly not crispy. Cool. Blend confectioners sugar and lemon juice until smooth. Drizzle in zig-zags over jam. When icing is set, cut diagonally into 1-inch cookies.

11 comments:

  1. Okay I must try this. Im having a baking day here with friends on Monday and will use this recipe! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (don't even think about using margarine)

    Yes ma'am! :) You're my kind of baker! I love that your hubby is the gourmet in your family. Now I don't feel so bad when my mom asks "What are you cooking?"

    About yesterday's meme on HSBA, I hear what you mean about the cakes and cookies. I would have been here all day had they asked that. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found your post from "I have to say" recipe swap and I make theses very same cookies every year. They are amazing. The only difference is I use almond extract in the glaze instead of the lemon. I am going to have to try the lemon! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ummmm, OK this sounds like something that I shouldn't make, because I would eat the entire batch and my family would never even see them. Yeah. I have no self control.

    But... I'll probably give them a go this year. I like to try something new each year if I can. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These sound delicious! Thank for sharing. You asked if I take the rind off of my baked brie. The answer is yes, I do. The recipe doesn't say to and the first time I made it I didn't. But I really didn't care for it that way, so now I remove the rind. I'm still not sure which is the correct way to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This recipe looks yummy! I need a couple of new recipes for a cookie exchange at work and I think I'll make these, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have some homemade raspberry jam in the freezer that would be perfect with these. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never seen anything like this before. I love raspberry anything, so I'm going to have to try these! Don't you just LOVE baking cookies on your stones?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been a version of these cookies every Christmas for about 5years now. I too use almond flavoring instead of lemon.
    And my house is not completely decorated either, so you're in good company!
    Love your blog, have followed for a while but never commented.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. those sound amazing! i will be making them:).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh these sound so good! I'll have to show my DD the recipe and I bet she'll have a batch whipped up in no time! (She loves to bake!) Thanks for entering it in the recipe blog-hop!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one. I have comment moderation on, so your comment will take a little bit to appear.