Friday, October 5, 2012

31 Beautiful Things, Day 5: Running with Randy

I cannot lie: I don't love running. Running, to me, is not a beautiful thing. I feel no sense of freedom, no exhilaration, no thrill in the way my body works. I feel clumsy, sweaty, clunky, and slow. I do not run like the wind.

However, I do love running with my husband in the mornings. I run because I need to exercise. Keeping thin and fit was a simple thing 10 years ago; now, at 46, it's a struggle to keep fit. I left my personal "thin" behind in my mid-30s.

I run because the mornings are beautiful. I love seeing the mountains awake and running across the pretty red bridge of our city.

I run because Randy and I have 45 minutes of uninterrupted time, just the two of us, to talk about our yesterday, our today, and what's happening tomorrow.

Three times a week, we run and talk, me gasping for breath and clunking along. It really is a beautiful thing, in its own weird way.


  1. Great topic for the 31 Days series, Sarah!

  2. Maybe if you keep doing it you'll find yourself loving it one day. You never know.


I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one. I have comment moderation on, so your comment will take a little bit to appear.