Friday, October 5, 2012

31 Beautiful Things, Day 5: Running with Randy

I cannot lie: I don't love running. Running, to me, is not a beautiful thing. I feel no sense of freedom, no exhilaration, no thrill in the way my body works. I feel clumsy, sweaty, clunky, and slow. I do not run like the wind.

However, I do love running with my husband in the mornings. I run because I need to exercise. Keeping thin and fit was a simple thing 10 years ago; now, at 46, it's a struggle to keep fit. I left my personal "thin" behind in my mid-30s.

I run because the mornings are beautiful. I love seeing the mountains awake and running across the pretty red bridge of our city.

I run because Randy and I have 45 minutes of uninterrupted time, just the two of us, to talk about our yesterday, our today, and what's happening tomorrow.

Three times a week, we run and talk, me gasping for breath and clunking along. It really is a beautiful thing, in its own weird way.


2 comments:

  1. Great topic for the 31 Days series, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe if you keep doing it you'll find yourself loving it one day. You never know.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one. I have comment moderation on, so your comment will take a little bit to appear.