Friday, October 12, 2012

31 Beautiful Things, Day 12: Boy Home

He might be 19 but he's still my boy, and this evening, he came home. His college break starts today. We went to Dollywood for the day, but I had a pork roast in the crock pot, mashed potato casserole ready to stick in the oven, and homemade applesauce ready to reheat. He came in from Nashville right at 6:15, nervous about his Italian midterm. In the three hours since his exam, his professor had posted grades already. He was so relieved to find he'd received a B.

The house feels more solid when he's here. A space is filled in, a seat taken. I watch the interaction among my three children, marveling that they are ours. How far we've come together, this family of ours. Can there be anything better than this pure joy?


Day 1.
Day 2: Morning Coffee
Day 3: It's OK to Break for Bugs 
Day 4: Supper and Cards 
Day 5: Running with Randy
Day 6: At Cataloochee 
Day 7: A Brand New Thing
Day 8: Alma Mater 
Day 9: Writing Group 
Day 10: Big Brother, Baby Nephew 
Day 11: Little Girls
Day 12: Boy Home

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely! My 18 year old son recently came home from college for the Jewish holidays. He ate us out of the house, engaged his younger sister in sword play, slept till noon, and complimented me on my cooking. The house was balanced again with all my "chicks" under one roof, if only temporary.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one. I have comment moderation on, so your comment will take a little bit to appear.