Saturday, September 13, 2008

Saturdays Ramblings

* We did something this morning that we haven't done in a long, long time: we picked up breakfast at Panera and headed for a park. When Jesse (and Laurel) were little we used to do this regularly, but Duncan has missed out on the Saturday morning breakfast outing for the most part. This is the first time in four or five years that we don't have anyone playing soccer on Saturday mornings, and I am thrilled to have our day back. (Jesse was still sleeping when we returned home at noon. Teenagers.)

* I'm feeling grumpy about wedding and baby showers at church. Really, truly, I have a hard time justifying spending money on gifts for people I hardly know. How do people do this happily? This is one of those issues that perplexes me. Is the right thing to buy a gift and attend every shower if possible? Or are showers really meant only for close friends? I wonder how large churches handle this: do they have all-church showers, as well? I find the whole thing confusing, but I suspect that really I am just a curmudgeon.

* I have been a cleaning maniac today. Our pretty little sunporch just needs vacuumed, and it'll be the cleanest it's been in nearly a year. I wish I had money to buy a few pieces of porch furniture, but I'll have to make do for now (maybe I could take all that baby shower money and buy some nice wicker).

* We bought Duncan his first bike today. Up until now he's had hand-me-down hand-me-downs that were mostly rust. In a couple of weeks he'll be doing his bike safety requirement for Cub Scouts, so we thought he really needs to learn how to ride. I'm thinking that next summer, we'll be one of those families out riding their bikes all together...

4 comments:

  1. sometimes the lantana will come back after a winter, especially the orange. but these were at my mom's and they just put them in this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't say you are a cantankerous person. I wouldn't go to a shower of a person I didn't know. I wouldn't even go unless I knew the person well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ** I miss Panrea. I am sad!!!! No Panera here! DH is n Ohio and said he'd try to get to Panera to email me. I told him that was a man thing to say. LOL.

    **I never go to those church ones unless I know the person (more than barely!)(or I know the person really needs some help and we have extra money to help with something they need)

    ** I have bike riding and gardeining today. I should sleep well. But will have a messy house. Enjoy your clean house!!

    **Yeah for Duncan! First bikes are always fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's different for me to answer, as a staff person. I often feel obliged to go.

    But, in the last couple of months, when it has gotten SO overwhelming (like 7 weddings this summer!) that I ONLY go to weddings or showers of people I know and care about.

    AND. . if I go to a bridal shower and give a gift. . .I'm not always obliged to give a gift at the wedding.

    But, that's just me. . . .

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one. I have comment moderation on, so your comment will take a little bit to appear.