Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Early Mornings


Lately I've been getting up ridiculously early for me. I'm really a 7:15 a.m. person; but for the past week, I've been waking up at 6:20 on the dot. No alarm clock, of course. No early morning children, barking dog, or meowing cats. I just wake up.

It wasn't too long ago that I thought waking up at 7:15 was ridiculous, and yet I couldn't seem to sleep in any longer. It's hard to believe that I used to (many, many years ago) sleep in until 10 or 9 or even 8 a.m. I can even remember summer mornings as a teenager, waking up to the sound of motorboats and waves lapping the shore and the smell of lunch cooking at 11:30 a.m.

But I don't miss those days because mornings are so perfect. I love to have an hour or two all to myself. I love to smell the morning and to watch the sunrise over the flowerbeds and the mountains come into focus. I meet a group of friends at 8 a.m. two-three mornings each week for a run, and we're all back to our homes by 9:00. Other mornings I accomplish all kinds of virtual paperwork and even have leisurely time to read blogs and even comment.

Who would have imagined, all those years ago, that the mornings hold such joy?

Linked to Tuesdays Unwrapped on Chatting at the Sky and Outdoor Wednesday at Southern Daydreamer

12 comments:

  1. I want to get my mornings "back"- and it's gradually happening...which is SO HARD for a natural night owl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you've ALMOST sold me.

    :)

    I wake up at 6 a.m. everyday, against my will. Kids have made me a morning person, but I'm still a night person, so really...I'm an unhappy morning person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I sleep past 8, I feel like I've missed most of the day! I am thankful not to be getting up at 6 any longer though.....that's the perfect reason for quitting my job and loving staying at home and homeschooling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful garden you have - I truly have garden envy. I have planted no flowers this year. I guess I'll just have to visit your blog and enjoy YOUR flowers!

    I've been getting up at 5am to get my daughter to early morning swim team since she's doing double practice this summer. I find it unpleasant getting up so early but the days do seem so much longer which is good and bad.

    Samantha

    ReplyDelete
  5. @JoAnn--it makes all the difference when it's YOUR will, not theirs!

    @ZK--exactly!

    @Sam--5 a.m. would be totally pushing ti for me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been waking up before my alarm lately too. I enjoy the quiet of the house and just listening to the birds in the morning and the sun coming through the window. It's so peaceful. I love your photo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also love the morning hours! I just must make myself get to bed early enough to wake up and enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The odd thing is that I can almost smell that scene by looking at the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel almost cheated if I sleep past 6:00. I just love the morning so. Of course, my payback comes when I'm ready to hit the sack by 9:00 at night. I wish that I had as lovely a view as the one that you posted to watch as I sip my coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A person misses so much when a sunrise is missed. I require less sleep as I age. I always was a night person. Lately that has changed.
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sunrises are a special time of the day. I wish I was up earlier to witness a couple but it's summer and as a teacher I can't help but sleep in when I can. Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am learning to love mornings, but I need to start the night before by going to bed earlier. That's a tough one, the house gets quiet and I think, "I'm never going to bed!" I need that refreshment in the morning instead of the evening.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one. I have comment moderation on, so your comment will take a little bit to appear.