Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Wordless Wednesday: Bee Balm

"Bee Balm leaves and flowers and stems are used in alternative medicine as an antiseptic, carminative, diaphoretic, diuretic and stimulant. An infusion is medicinal used internally in the treatment of colds, catarrh, headaches, and gastric disorders, to reduce low fevers and soothe sore throat, to relieve flatulence, nausea, menstrual pain, and insomnia. Steam inhalation of the plant can be used for sore throats, and bronchial catarrh (inflammation of the mucus membrane, causing an increased flow of mucus). Externally, it is a medicinal application for skin eruptions and infections."

Wow! I was just so excited that, after being planted three years ago, it finally flowered this year! The weird thing is that it was red when I planted it the first year. My botanists have nothing to say about that.

9 comments:

  1. Pretty flowers!
    http://harrietandfriends.com/2010/06/aw-isnt-that-cute/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty color. Sometimes, like with a hydrangea, soil acidity can change flower color. I wonder if bee balm is one of those affected by soil acidity?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ZK--could be! I'll run that by the botanists!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How appropriate since this is National Pollinators Week! Lovely image.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a pretty useful flower. Who knew? Thanks for linkin up to my WW!

    alicia @ a beautiful mess

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! My daughter would love the purple! We only have red, Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful AND purposeful beyong the beauty. I love that flowers that multitask!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is beautiful. I'm glad it's flowered now after all this time and that is an interesting change in color!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Bee Balm is beautiful, a great flower to attract the hummingbirds.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one. I have comment moderation on, so your comment will take a little bit to appear.