Saturday, November 1, 2008

Sweet Saturday

What a fabulous day this has been. I was forced to get up and about early this morning, as Duncan had dress rehearsal for a play he's in at church tomorrow morning. Normally I like to be a complete slug on Saturday mornings, but while Duncan was at rehearsal I was amazingly productive at the grocery store. We now have food.

Because I was so productive this morning, I allowed myself to be almost completely unproductive this afternoon. I actually read nearly all of the blogs that were piled up on my Google Reader list. I enjoyed looking at all the Halloween costumes and feeling guilty for being a lame costume Mom this year.

Laurel is a creative genius and comes up with her own fabulous ideas. This year when we were cleaning out my mom's attic, we found a beautiful silk outfit that my dad had bought for her in Okinawa during the Korean War. Mom wanted Laurel to have it, and Laurel immediately saw its potential as her Halloween costume. All she had to do was put chopsticks in her hair, roll up the pants, and cinch the waist, and she was a most beautiful Japanese lady.

But poor Duncan. I was so creative with costumes when Jesse was little. Unbelievably, Duncan and I went to Walmart at 11 a.m. on the 31st of October to buy a costume. It goes against every fiber of my being. But of course when we got home, the costume didn't fit. We weren't able to go back to Walmart until 5 p.m. on the 31st of October to find a replacement, and, of course, there wasn't one. Fortunately Duncan didn't melt down. He agreed to get cheapo light saber and a cape and use the Darth Vader hand-me-down, garage-sale costume we already had at home.

Phew. Next year I am going back to being clever, creative, well-prepared costume Mom. Anyway, they all had a great time trick-or-treating in the richy-rich subdivision across the street, and I got all their Almond Joys and Heath bars.

And look who came to our house today!

This is our new kitty, S'more, because we needed more animals in our home. I guess it's kind of like what I hear about having more than 4 kids: once you have a houseful, what's one more? So far all the other pets are treating her kindly and she hasn't pooped on the floor.

This past week was absolutely crammed pack, and I sure did enjoy a day to recuperate. I'm yearning to get back to the mountains during this upcoming peak foliage week, so I'll have to work hard in the next couple of days to climb Mt. Paperwork first. Wish me luck.

3 comments:

  1. Aw, Smore is so cute!!! Cristian keeps asking for a hamster or a leopard gecko, but I'm thinking a dog, a cat, and a fish suffice ;)

    Yay, for being productive! :) And for having food in the house!

    Enjoy your mountain trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a CUTE kitty!!
    your kids looked great in their costumes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. S'more is soooo cute!!
    I liked Laurel's costume!! Very creative over her -- and I bet Duncan's costume next year will be fantastic. If you're like me, you'll begin planning it today. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one. I have comment moderation on, so your comment will take a little bit to appear.