Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Anniversary Weekend in the Smokies


It's a tradition of ours to spend a weekend in the mountains (in Townsend, the "peaceful side of the Smokies") to celebrate our anniversary. We never actually do this on our anniversary (March 25) because Jesse's birthday is March 27. We have toyed with the idea of going someplace else, but we are suckers for tradition. And with nearly 900 miles of trails in the Smokies, we have a lot of territory to explore.

This year we took our Saturday hike to Grotto Falls. We generally try to avoid two things when visiting the Smokies: Gatlinburg and most-visited places. Something about crowds and nature just don't mix well with us. (And why do people flock to Gatlinburg? We continue to be mystified.)

But you have to drive through Gatlinburg to get to Grotto Falls, and we really wanted to see Grotto Falls because it's one of those places that people say, "WHAT? You've never been to Grotto Falls?" —and because I demanded a short hike. Last year's 8-mile "flat" hike (I need to keep remembering that Randy's definition of "flat" is relative and has nothing to do with the "flat" of Iowa, for example) was a bit more than I wanted this year for a leisurely Saturday afternoon.

The hike itself is an easy 1.3 miles. It actually took us a couple of hours or more because we stayed with a man who had fallen and broken his leg. Randy was great at talking to him, keeping him comfortable, swapping Boy Scout stories with him. After an hour or so the search and rescue guys got there, and we headed up to the falls with about 50 other people.


Grotto Falls was pretty, and we do want to bring the kids back because they would love to walk behind the falls. Check out Randy's blog to get an idea of what the falls really looks like with a bunch of people there. You kind of have to wait your turn, on weekends from March through October.


After the hike, we drove around Roaring Fork Motor Trail, which was quite beautiful. It reminded us a lot of Cades Cove without the valley, with lots of cabins around. We stopped at the Ephraim Bales homesite, which is in the most spectacular setting.

I love to imagine what it would be like for this to be my front yard. Yes, I know. Hauling water, building fires, outhouses, and all that. Still.

We ate at Miss Lily's Cafe in Townsend for dinner that night, and I have to say two big thumbs-up for Miss Lily's. The food was absolutely perfect. Miss Lily's is a tiny bit off the main road through Townsend, so you might not see it unless you are looking for it. Locals, turn left by AJ's Hearth and Kettle restaurant and look to your right. Miss Lily's is the log house right there. I had the shrimp and grits, and Randy had the low-country pasta. Both were fabulous.

On Sunday we took a short hike before heading back to town to get the kids.

We intended to stroll along Middle Prong trail, but Randy thought it would be fun to explore an unmarked trail, properly called a "manway." In other words, it used to be a trail maintained by the Park but isn't any more. We had to climb over lots of fallen trees, which was fun.



I absolutely loved this trail, er, manway! Oh my goodness—I can't wait to bring the kids, some friends, and a picnic. The hike was easy and actually, truly "flat." (Please understand: I'm not against uphill hikes; I just like to know what I'm in for.) There were tons of rocks and caves for climbing on top of and possibly into, and lots of excellent swimming holes.


That's us, celebrating 22 years of being the Smalls. He's my rock. And my river.

If you want to read all the details about our hikes and see more pictures, take a look at Randy's blog, 900 Miles. He only got to add 1.4 miles to his trail count, but I don't think he minded too much.

11 comments:

  1. We LOVE Grotto falls. Our weekend have been booked ever since the weather turned nice. We are planning a family hike to Laurel falls in a couple of weeks. It will be lil' man's first hike. =) I'm so anxious to get to climbing up a mountain!!! Beautiful pictures. =)

    We love the motor trail. We've done that a lot since lil' man has been born. I don't understand what mystifies people with G-burg either. I'd much rather become friends with nature than walk the streets with a million other people. Although....you get lots of entertainment driving slowly through G-burg....ha!

    I'm going to show my husband your husband's blog. He's been to Leconte countless times and LOVES unmaintained trails.....me? Not so much. We will be taking a family trip to Leconte before our next child comes....whenever that may be. We are so blessed to live in this area!!!! Happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary!

    reminds me of my hubby getting me to go cycling...'minor undulations' would be big fat hills I can't cycle up!

    Sounds beautiful on those trails glad you love them so :o)

    xc

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary! What a lovely way to celebrate. Although if I suggested an anniversary hike to my husband he'd feel my forehead for fever.
    Beautiful pictures! Thank you for sharing; it's snowing here in NJ so I'm grateful for all the pictures of NON snowing locales!
    Cass

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Anniversary! What a beautiful place to hike and explore. I love the countryside. You'll definitly have to go back in summer for a picnic ;-) Blessings, Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Anniversary! I recognize that manway...we hiked down there with the kids and had a picnic on some rocks near your pic...I just hated that bridge at the beginning. I was sure someone under 12 was going to end up in the water. (I'm a chicken on bridges anyway)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful place! I love that you guys go for 'tradition'. Happy (early) Anniversary! :)

    WW: Creative Play

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy, HAPPY Anniversary!

    (By the way, we finally found and made it to Metcalf Bottoms last week- what a FUN day for us!

    NOW I will have to locate Grotto Falls...and perhaps a "manway" or two along the way...) :0)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Anniversary! We came by your blog from the Wordless Wednesday link! We hope you will stop over and visit us too! We are now followers and can't wait to read more. Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great hike and way to spend your anniversary! I've never heard of a "flat" hike in the Smokies! We wanted to come up to Cades Cove over spring break, but won't be able to make it. We're only about 2.5 hours away, but we'll be staying home. Planning to add it to a summer trip.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Anniversary!! What a stunning way to spend the day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looked like such a great day! Happy Anniversary...may you celebrate many more!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one. I have comment moderation on, so your comment will take a little bit to appear.