Monday, January 21, 2008

Yes, Some of Us DO Need Support Groups

January 21, 2008

Like Mama Squirrel at Dewey's Treehouse, I've been surprised at the number of editorial-type blogs I've read lately that almost sneer at support groups. Sort of a "who needs a support group" kind of attitude. It's true--not everyone needs a support group. But what is sad, so sad, is that sometimes a support group needs you. Sometimes new homeschoolers really, really want to talk to experienced homeschoolers, but find their would-be-mentors are too busy maintaining their "I don't need a support group" stance to help. Sometimes experienced homeschoolers wish they had more experienced homeschoolers in the group, but they've all dropped out because...they don't need a support group. They "have all the friends they need." Yep.

And so I was going to blog about why I am happy to have a support group, but instead, Mama Squirrel did it on her blog. And her post is so similar to what I would have said, that I shall just link to her. Thanks, Mama Squirrel (who I wish had a real name because that just sounds weird but then again, I go by SmallWorld so who am I to talk) for taking the words right out of my mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one. I have comment moderation on, so your comment will take a little bit to appear.