Thursday, November 6, 2008

Bhuna gosht and Dhal (AKA Indian Chicken and Lentils)

I'm so happy today that it's time for Randi's Recipe Box Swap because my mind is truly too befuddled to have profound thoughts. This goes back to my blogging lesson #22: "If you can't think of anything to blog about, post a recipe."

This is one of our Top 10 Family Favorites. Every member of the family loves this, so we have it at least a couple times each month. It is based on the Bhuna gosht and dhal recipes in Usborne's Children's World Cookbook, which I dearly love. (If you don't have a copy of this fabulous around-the-world cookbook, find an Usborne consultant or buy it on Amazon!) This is supposed to be a lamb dish, but I use chicken instead.

Bhuna Gosht
1 1/2 lbs. chicken breasts (about 3 breasts)
4 tbs. lemon juice
2 cloves garlic
pinch of salt
4 T. butter
1 tsp. chili powder
2 tsp. ground coriander
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. tumeric
1 tsp. black pepper
1 bouillon cube
1 cup hot water

Cut the chicken up into 1" cubes. Add salt and lemon juice and let marinate for 15 minutes or so. Melt butter in skillet. Chop garlic and saute briefly in butter. Stir in all the spices and then add the chicken. Make the bouillon and add it to the pan. Let it all bubble over low heat, stirring occasionally. Cook for 20-25 minutes. (You can also do this is the crockpot. Cook on low for about 4-5 hours. I like to brown the chicken in the skillet before adding it to the crockpot.) Serve with dhal (below) over rice. Serves about 4.


Dhal
8 oz. lentils
1 clove garlic
4 T. butter
1/2 tsp. chili power
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. tumeric

Cover lentils with water and bring to a boil. Cook for 10 minutes or so. (Watch carefully that they don't scorch.) Turn off and let soak for at least 30 minutes. More is fine. About 30 minutes before you are ready to eat, add the rest of the ingredients and water to about 1-2 inches above lentils. Stir well and simmer about 20 minutes or until lentils are soft. You may need to add more water. We like ours a little soupy. Serve with sour cream or cucumber raita (below) over rice.


Cucumber Raita
1 cup plain yogurt or sour cream
1/2 cucumber
1/8 tsp. each salt and pepper (or more to taste)

Peel the cuke. Cut it into spears and take out seeds as much as possible. Dice. Add to yogurt or sour cream and season. Mix well. Serve with lentils and chicken.

Check out more fabulous recipes at the Recipe Box Swap!

7 comments:

  1. Oh, this sounds wonderful. I was wondering about the chicken in a recipe called gosht. We love Indian food! I will try this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum! we like indian food as well. AND i've been in a cooking slump. actually, it's a grocery store slump. i just don't want to go! i don't want to spend money right now. but i suppose the kids must eat.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. is slump a word?:)i should have played scrabble more as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that sounds yummy!
    I definitely need to broaden my horizons in the recipe department. Maybe we'll try this one out this month!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds so good! I use a similar cucumber sauce for Greek Gyros and I just love it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love Indian food too, so I am definately trying this! I need to get my hands on that cookbook....

    ReplyDelete
  7. go to amazon to find an usborne book...? now, how should I feel about that one? :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one. I have comment moderation on, so your comment will take a little bit to appear.