Saturday, November 27, 2010

Looking for Some Great Reads?

After a few mostly mediocre months of reading, I've had a great November. I'll be posting my Top 10 List in early January over at my SmallWorld Reads blog, but I thought I'd give a little preview here in case you are looking for a good book, either for yourself or for a gift. Here are a few of my favorite books so far this year. Clicking on the title will take you to my review of the book:

New Literary Fiction
Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout
Girl in Translation by Jean Kwok
The Help by Kathryn Stockett
Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls

Tougher Reads (as in, maybe not such happy endings and with difficult subject matter)
Breath, Eyes, Memory by Edwidge Denticatt
Still Alice by Lisa Genova
The Buffalo Solider by Chris Bohjalian

Nonfiction/Memoir (tend to be emotionally difficult but well written and fascinating)
The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down by Annie Fadiman
Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller
The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie
Beautiful Boy by David Sheff
Heartbreaking Word of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers

I'm always looking for book suggestions, even though I have more than 200 books on my current To Be Read list. Do you have any books on your Christmas list?

3 comments:

  1. I really like that you divide the list up this way, as it makes it easier for me to choose! I'm a little embarrassed about this, but I can't go for the difficult, the sad, or the too non-fictional at this stage of my life. Perhaps I'll go back to being cerebral later. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read (in one night) an absolutely lovely book - An Amish Christmas by Cynthia Keller. I adored it - it was a perfect Christmas read. I was so able to identify with the main character and I could see aspects of my three children in her three children. I highly recommend it! I've heard great things about The Help - I need to read that one.

    Samantha

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one. I have comment moderation on, so your comment will take a little bit to appear.